pineal gland notes

   Hi.
     First off, I'm not mad at Jack.  He knows more about these things then I
do.  But I seem to have left off the bit about the pineal gland being a
contributing factor, not the sole reason.   No one thing is the cause of mass
extinctions, except Man, and I have reason to believe that this time Man
wasn't involved.  Beyond that, stuff around the K-T barrier seems to be too
complicated(and yet, somehow vague) to be entirely sure about anything.
     I was hoping someone would identify the supposed dinosaur finds from the
later period by species so I could go "AH HAH!", or just mumble quietly under
my breath if it turns out they were species with supposed non-functioning
pineal glands and somehow surviving.
     What I was supposing about the weather after the BIG SMACK was that it
probably was turbulent and violent immediatly following (like on Jupiter, you
know...) and then settling in for a really long dismal warm fog.  The heat
from the collision and the escaping magma warming the atmosphere and a heck
of a lot of water moving real fast outta the way of the meteor into the
atmosphere getting smeared just about everywhere by the high pressure area
(the large high pressure are) forming just over the crater.  If, instead of
seasons to tell you to when to breed, you just got unending fog for perhaps
years, your populations would drop dramaticly, on top of whatever the weather
was doing to your food crops,  or what the catyclism was doing to the depths
of the unoxygenated part of the ocean, or the shock of a BIG SMACK was doing
to water levels near coasts and to volcanic action that it may have
triggered.
    If this situation existed like this for a while, wouldn't it be an
advantage for an organism to be able to measure time passing with some other
function that could still measure lengths of time exposed to light to detect
whether the days were longer or shorter?  That wouldn't spend the whole time
of fog thinking it was just a nasty Autumn that spanned years?
    Why did birds survive and not therapods?  If these guys are so similar in
design in the chest and shoulder area that pieces are still recognisable
between these two species, why did the therapods die out?   I won't take
"Well, dinosaurs couldn"t survive the nuclear winter" explanation because I
don't think there was one.  Too many sub-tropical plants survived through
this time that would have been frozen to death.  Besides, I belive Bakker
when he says dinosaurs had warm-blooded tendencies.    There's no reason that
dinosaurs that could survive arctic areas couldn't survive long boughts with
cold weather.
     The only other way I can think of to measure what season it is has to do
with being able to measure magnetic polarities, and if it's sensitive enough,
being able to detect the seasonal tilts of the Earth.   I know birds can tell
which way north is but I have no idea whether they can tell what time of the
year it is using this magnetic sympathy they have.  If some birds have this
ability, did therapods?
    If the pineal glands functions are superceded in mammals by the
 receptors in the eyes, is it possible dinosaurs could do this also?   If we
mammals use our eyes to do this, why do we still have the damn pineal gland?
  If its reduntant, doesn't that make it vestigal?
     Sorry, I just plain don't know enough yet about any of this to be sure
of anything, but any criticism is a good thing, cause it'll give me more
ideas on where to look for answers, or simple curiosity.
    By the by, if hadrosaurs seemed very warm-blooded in their youths and
grew out of it as Jack Horner suggests, maybe a nuclear winter could kill all
the adults, and leave the youngsters defenceless....NO, no, no, dumb idea,
adults were breeding in Alaska...Sorry, I got carried away with that one.
     I'm better now......