Re: pineal gland notes

From: Sherry Michael <st90snk7@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu>

 > So why would larger animals be more at risk? Higher food needs? The
 > diversity I understand, but a food chain breakdown would effect big and
 > small creatures. I think specialization is the main answer here, not size.

Well, size is, in essence, a specialization.  A large animal cannot
afford to be the sort of opportunistic generalist that has a good
chance of surviving a mass extinction.  Thus, because they generally
have established nutritional requirements that cannot be easily
met by a substantially changed environment, they tend to die in
mass extinctions.

[Mass extinction resistant ecologies are more along the lines
of crows, rats, cockroaches, dandelions, ragweeds, and so on;
forms that can make it almost anywhere, in almost any situation].

The peace of God be with you.