the birds and the crocs

> I do not know of any large crocodilian that actually *spans* the
> boundary.  The largest crocodilian ever dies at or near the
> boundary (Leidyosuchus, aka Phobosuchus).

Um, I thought this sounded a little strange because I've seen
Leidyosuchus in many early Tertiary faunal lists. Turns out that
Carroll (1988: Vert Paleo and Evolution) lists Leidyosuchus as
ranging from Late Cretaceous to Eocene, and furthermore identifies
Phobosuchus as a junior synonym of Deinosuchus, which is restricted
to the Late Cretaceous (is Deinosuchus what you meant to say?).

> Apparently the small theropods ("coelurosaurs") could
> not compete effectively with birds, and lost out to them about
> the middle of the Cretaceous, if not sooner.

What makes you think that? 1) Birds fly; 2) Even the smallest
coelurosaurs ("size of a large dog") would have been several orders
of magnitude larger than the average bird; 3) Most birds aren't
carnivorous, they're granivorous, insectivorous, or frugivorous.