Re: epanterias et al

>A question: I continually read (in even recent books) about how the T.rex is
>the "largest terrestrial carnivore ever" or words to that effect.  Is this
>still true? What about the "Epanterias amplexus" reported in various popular
>journals circa 1990?  The articles were stating that this dinosaur, an
>ALLOSAUR, was 50 feet long, as large as or larger than T.rex.  Has
>"epanterias" ever been officially described and confirmed to be that large?

  I don't know how recent a find Epanterias is. I have found references to it
in popular books, so it can't be too recent. Yet _THE_DINOSAURIA_ does not
recognize it as a valid genus or species.
  What I gathered from the popular books is that Allosaurus epanterias is as
_long_ as a T.rex, but much lighter built. Weight, although difficult to
estimate in absolute terms, is a better measure of "size". Thus T.rex is still
"King of the Hill".

>Here are some possibles:
>and a theorpod? from India said to be up to 50% larger than Tyrannosaurus.

  If this is what I think you are referring to (I forget the name, if it has
one), it is thought to be an ornithomimosaur (!), not a theropod.

Scott Horton
Geophysicist/Computer Programmer