Just the FAQs, ma'am.

Last week I tried to send out a proposal suggesting that we try to put
together a set of FAQs and answers.  I have reason to believe that
very few of you got the message, but if you did receive it, please
forgive me for any duplicate information.

Basically I thought that we could spread the work around by having
anyone and everyone submit questions and answers, and allow errors in
said answers to be weeded out by public discourse.  In my previous
message I asked for a volunteer (or volunteers) to coordinate the
resulting answers into one or more easily readable documents.  Despite
the limited dispersal, I actually did get one volunteer.  My tentative
plan is to make the FAQ available to people when they subscribe,
either by sending it to them as part of the welcome message or
(particularly if it gets long) telling them how to retrieve it.
Should such a document get created, I will keep it available in some
form for everyone on the list to consult.

If you think this is a good idea and would like to submit questions
(and if possible, suggestions for answers), then send them to the
list.  If you think it's a good idea and want to volunteer to help
coordinating it, please send mail to me and I'll coordinate the
coordinators.  If you think it's a bad idea...  well, I don't know
what you should do in that case.  Perhaps we could try to use the
convention that every submission intended to discuss the potential FAQ
list have "FAQ" in the subject line, thus making it easier for people
to discard such "junk" mail without taking the time to read it.

I now turn these ideas over to you.

P.S.  I've been informed that last week's small flood of requests for
a supposedly already existing FAQ resulted from misinformation being
posted somewhere else, probably sci.paleo.anthropology.  I don't know
who the culprit was.  I hope it wasn't any of you ;-)