Re: possible FAQs

>From: tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov
>
> > >The smallest certain dinosaur known is Compsognathus, at less than
> > >2 feet in length, and less than 1 kilogram in weight.  If Protoavis
> > >is a dinosaur it is even smaller.
> >
> > Actually, that specimen of Compsognathus is a juvenile.  The adult specimen
> > from France is about 1.1 meters long.
>
>That is, about 3.5 ft.

Current U.S.G.S. policy is to use metric.  :-)

> > >No.  And it was about 10 feet long as well.
> >
> > Actually, more like 20 to 25 feet long.  Dilophosaurus and its relatives
> > were the first large theropods.
>
>Hmm, perhaps I misjudged size of the the specimen (?plaster cast?)
>at UCLA.  I could have sworn it was only about 10-12 feet long!

If I remember correctly, the type specimen (the mount) is the smaller of
the original two individuals.  Also, as in most theropods, about half of
the length is in the tail, so they tend to be much longer for a given trunk
size than any mammal.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist in Exile
U.S. Geological Survey