Re: pelicanomimus

>>...to work. Apparently there has been a discovery of a new ornithomimid in
>>Spain by Perez-Moraino(sp?). It is a skull, and has a Pelican like beak with
>>200 teeth. They said it is estimated at 130myo, making it one of the, if not
>>the oldest ornithomimid known.  Do any of you have any additional ...
>>John Rafert       jrafert@xray.indyrad.iupui.edu
>
>I thought that, _BY_DEFINITION_, ornithomimids had no teeth. If I'm right, what
>should it be categorized as?
>
>Scott Horton
>Geophysicist/Computer Programmer

It depends on whose definition.  Since some workers are happy to put
Harpymimus into Ornithomimidae, these people allow for toothed
ornithomimids.  I prefer to leave Harpymimus (and now Pelecanimimus)
outside of Ornithomimidae, but within Ornithomimosauria.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist in Exile
U.S. Geological Survey
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy