Another simple question (I think)

>I just returned from Alberta.  Its hard to get back to real life.  :-(
>
>At Dinosaur Park, they used abbreviations I thought I understood, but now
>have doubts about the specifics.
>
>In their classifications, they list the genus and species usually.  Its
>the exceptions that threw me.
>
>One listing was:   Pachycephalasaurus n. gen., n. sp.

I suspect it actually was "Pachycephalosaurid n. gen., n. sp.", which means
the dinosaur is a member of the dome-headed family Pachycephalosauridae,
but is a new genus and a new species (i.e., is not a specimen of a
previously known genus or species).

>another:  Tyranasaurid n. sp.

As above, but a new species of a tyrannosaurid.

When these guys finally get names, the labels will (hopefully) be changed.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist in Exile
U.S. Geological Survey
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy