Re: Pelecanimimus

From: tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov
 > >>   3) place Pelecanimimus all by itself in a more derived
 > >>      group than Ornithomimosauria; which seems like excessive
 > >>      splitting to me.
 >
 > I agree.  However, you do exactly that with your usage of "Alxasauridae"
 > below.  That name is based off of the single species Alxasaurus
 > elesitaiensis.

You seem to be using a different definition of oversplitting.

I base it on level of divergence represented, not strictly on
size.  (Although I try to avoid monotypic taxa, that is not always
possible - especially in a highly diverse group, or a group with
a small number of outliers).

The peace of God be with you.