Re: Jupiter capture

Actually, the comet could have been--and I think was--in orbit
around Jupiter, in this case a very elongated orbit, such that
perihelion (I know, but what's the combining form for Jupiter?
anyway, closest approach) was less than 2.44 radii, at which
point tidal forces would pull it apart (thus the string of pearls
effect) and the orbit was further perturbed. Skylab may be a
useful analogy here; it should also be remembered that there's
a _lot_ of stuff around Jupiter, so this is not a simple problem.

Are there any physicists or astronomers on this list?

Vicki Rosenzweig
vr%acmcr.uucp@murphy.com
New York, NY