dino collectables

Greetings to all,
        I've been on the list since the middle of June, however, until now I
have simply been lurking about. I am a public school science educator that
works at a science education center. The center does not have a resident pop-
ulation of students. We have visiting groups from throughout our district and
from neighboring districts that come for typically a 2 1/2 hour program. We
offer over 70 programs which are designed to enrich programs of study taught
in the regular classroom setting. We provide programs in all areas of science
education (life, physical, earth, chemistry, technology etc.). We have a 180
seat planetarium and a space simulator system (mission control & challenger
center space shuttle cockpit area). I teach a number of programs related
to geologic history, fossils, dinosaurs and prehistoric life. The discussions
on this list have been informative and thought provoking. It has enabled me
to correct some of my own misconceptions and to be current with respect to
ideas surrounding dinosaurs. This list has and I am certain will continue
to benefit me as a science educator. I am grateful to all of the input from
all subscribers thus far. It is the general good naturedness and lack of a
condescending tone towards amateurs like myself that has prompted me to move
beyond the status of a lurker.
        Today, I wish to inquire about sources for dinosaur collectables. I am
looking for specific sources where I might purchase paper ephemera (stamps,
postcards, trading cards, posters, comics, magazines, advertizing etc.) on
dinosaurs, fossils and other prehistoric animals including humans. Locally, I
search at flea markets and I subscribe to a number of antiquarian book vendors.
I have had moderate success and I have acquired such items as Sinclair Oil Co.
books on dinosaurs and even a 1932 road map of Maryland with dinosaur pictures.
I also have acquired numerous texts from the late nineteenth century until the
present. I often incorporate these materials into my lessons and find that they
help students understand that a fascination with prehistoric animals has been
around for at least a century. The older pictures are also useful in helping
students understand how early ideas about dinosaurs are being challenged by
modern paleontologists as they continue to make new discoveries or question
old attitudes and beliefs. I am mostly interested in materials prior to 1960
but will consider more recent items. Some members of this list may know of
an obscure trading card set, magazine, or comic that I am unaware of and can
help by identifying the item. I am by no means an authority on these materials
but hope to one day develop a comprehensive listing of these kind of collect-
ables. Some of you may be aware of a antique book, magazine or junk dealer in
your part of the country that may be a source for these items. Any addresses
or phone numbers would be appreciated.
        As a courtesy, I see no need to clog up the list with responses and
ask people to reply directly to me. If a respondant feels that their infor-
mation would be of interest to the entire list, then do as you see fit. It
could be that others would have an interest in these materials. Regardless,
I appreciate your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Martin Tillett, Science Instructor
Howard B. Owens Science Center
9601 Greenbelt Road
Lanham, Maryland 20706
Phone: 301-918-8750 day  703-660-6137 eve.  fax 301-918-8753
Email mtillett@umd5.umd.edu