Re: dinosaur CD-ROM's

>I have just purchased a 486sx multi-media PC. I am looking for good
>Dinosaur CD-Roms. I have heard that Lessom authored or is featured in one but
>I do not know the name or if it is any good. Also CD-Rom packages called
>3-D Dinosaur Adventure and Extinction. If you know of these or others I
>would love to know what you think of them. Thank you.
>---John Schneiderman <dino@cwis.unomaha.edu>

3-D DINOSAUR ADVENTURE was just rated one of the best 100 CD-ROM's by PC
Magazine. I agree. The opening sequence of an Allosaurus running at the camera
in 3-D is excellent, as are all the couple dozen motion sequences. It is set
in a kind of Jurassic Park setting, which is amusing at first, but gets tire-
some to wait for time and time again. Much of the content is geared to children
though: a kind of coloring program, and a game. The sound quality is excellent
and the program works flawlessly. There is not much reference material though,
if what you're looking for is a catalogue of statistics.

I give MicroSoft DINOSAURS a so-so rating. It has some bugs in it, and the
presentation is not as impressive. It does have more reference material than
3-D ADVENTURE though.

I also have another CD-ROM just called DINOSAURS, I'll have to check who the
publisher is tonight. I give it another so-so rating.

Scott Horton
Geophysicist/Computer Programmer