Pilfered Paleontology

I'd be very interested to hear what folks know about black market dinos
and other fossils too. I know that the term "black market" is problematic
as trade in paleontlogical resources is nowhere near as regulated as
trade in cultural resources. Nonetheless, let's have a definition along
the lines of "Black Market Fossils:" fossils offered for sale that were
obtained from public land improperly, or were stolen from public or
private collections.

I have heard of some thefts of vertebrate fossils from university
collections. Several holotypes were stolen from the University of La
Riola (Argentina) earlier this year.I vaguely recall hearing about a
theft in Canada, but would appreceiate any details that anyone could
offer about any thefts of fossils.

Thanks,

                        E.

erik@uclink.berkeley.edu