Re: found fossils; excellent sites

The description of the approach taken at the Stonerose site
sounds excellent to me.  That is exactly the way to handle things.

The approach described encourages amateur collection, which can
lead to new finds, and yet it protects the scientific value of the
finds.

I consider that amateur access is vital to scientific study of
fossils.  I, myself, have collected fossils mostly carbonized
leaf remains from the Pennsylvanian beds near where I grew up.

The only type of access I really object to is unsupervised collection
for sale to private collectors.  This is the way to get valuable
scientific specimens hidden away in private collections.

The peace of God be with you.