Re: Fossil collecting,hunting,non-pro (fwd)

The truth is that we do sponsor amateur collectors as much as is
possible in Scotland.  We have a few grant sources that I also apply
to for field work.  Mostly, however, I have to pay for my own fieldwork
out of my own pocket.  Palaeontology is not considered a topic worth
sponsoring to any great extent in this country.  To attract
sponsorship, you have to be expensive and most field palaeontology
is quite cheap.  Unless you are doing some sort of molecular
palaeontology, it is very difficult to obtain grants.

As I have said, there are a few sources of sponsorship in Scotland
that are well used by amateurs in this country.  Most geological
societies have some sort of awards that can be applied for.

Neil Clark
Curator of Palaeontology
Hunterian Museum
University of Glasgow
email: NCLARK@museum.gla.ac.uk

Some large dinosaurs had three horns and were called
triceps, others had two horns and were called biceps.
(Geological Howlers - ed. WDI Rolfe)