Re: S.A. T.rex tracks

On Fri, 2 Dec 1994, Phillip Bigelow wrote:

> Someone posted a note here about some purported T-rex
> tracks that were recently found in South America.
> Alexander formula, that is).
>
> Regarding the South American footprints.  I, too, am puzzled when the
> poster wrote that we shouldn't expect the find to be published.

I am also...I have a record of theropod, sauropod, ?ceratopsian, and
?hadrosaur footprints found in near Potosi, Bolivia.  The posted
Tyrannosaurus prints found near Sucre, Bolivia...I wounder if the site is
the same one.  Shame that it didn't mention the formation...All we have
to go on is it is Late Cretaceous, possibly Maastrichtian in age.
I doubt it is Tyrannosaurus...but the theropod footprints can most
certainly be that of an abelisaur (like Carnotaurus).
As for the ceratopsian footprints...that's going to be hard to prove!
It seems to be a reoccuring problem with quicky news reports...very
meat-eating dinosaurs always end up being referred to Tyrannosaurus,
sauropods = "Brontosaurus", etc...

---John Schneiderman (dino@revelation.unomaha.edu)