let me introduce myself

Hello dino-lovers,
        I have been quitely observing the dialogue of this list for several
weeks now and I decided it was high-time I introduced myself.  My name is
Eric Goodwin, I am an undergrad at the U or Oregon in Eugene.  I am a
senior in geology and more specifically a marine invertebrate paleo
student.  That fact aside, I do have interest in dinosauria, especially
late-K dino ecology and extinction patterns.
        There has been quite a bit of discussion on the ceratopsians and
stegosaurians lately and after reading today's mail I think that I will add
my two cents.  In reference to one of those messages, of which i have
accidentally deleted, it was mentioned that with the exception of
elephants, most large mammals do have direct predators.  Well, i buy that.
It seems to me that most animals of *large* stature lack predators.
Elephants being a prime example but lety me add that as far as i have ever
read, seen, or heard the large marine mammals lack predators as well,
except for possibly the killer whale and I dont think that i've ever heard
of one attacking a blue whale.  I could easily be incorrect but i cannot
recall ever knowing of such a thing.
        If you are a student of strict uniformitarianism then you almost
have to buy into the idea then that like most large modern animals, the
large sauropods lacked major predators.  I do NOT buy into
uniformitarianism blindly, but i will say that this *seems* like a fairly
safe assumption.  And i am considering the "opportunist" predators that may
take an injured or very young dino.  Are those opportunists considered to
be true predators?
        Well there is my two cents...I enjoy the dino-dialogue so keep the
issues comming!!! eric goodwin

DWD  -the terror that flaps in the nite
Eric H Goodwin
undergrad