Re: tails for defense

> .... A stegosaur, on the other hand, looks like it could not turn its head
> around far enough to see what is directly behind it, and is totally
> defenseless in a head-on attack. Thus if I were an allosaur, my strategy
> would be to approach stealthily from directly behind, then charge by and
> seize the stegosaurs head in my jaws before he even saw me.

Stegosaurus eyes are directed for side to side vision.  It had to wag it
head side to side to scan the surroundings...it would not have to move
its body to get a good look with one of its eyes to anything in front or
back of it.  So Allosaurus had better be very lucky on his stealthily
approach from behind.
Also, Stegosaurus, like many herbivores, tend to congregate in herds or
large groups so that there are many eyes looking in all directions, and
ready to issue out warnings of approaching predators.
So unless the Stegosaurus is sick, alone, very young, or just plain
stupid, it should prove quite a match for any predator...

---John Schneiderman (dino@revelation.unomaha.edu)