Re: Skeletons in Dinosaur Closets

> How conclusive/persuasive is the evidence that Coelophysis practiced
> cannibalism? I tend to think of all dinosaurs as noble creatures and
> would prefer the image of a mother dinosaur sacrificing herself to save
> her children rather than one so self-centered that she would devour her
> own offspring. Are there many vertebrate species--extant or extinct--that
> devour their own kind and/or offspring?

I know from my own experiences with pet snakes that some species
will eat their young. Male mice also will eat their young, and the
females tend not to eat _their_ young, but will happily ingest
someone elses.

As for dinos, I can't imagine a lrge predator passing up any good,
free meal, their own species or not.

> ----- Amado Narvaez
>       anarvaez@umd5.umd.edu

|    Sean R. "Snake" Kerns              e-mail: sean.kerns@sdrc.com |
|    DoD# 1052   '48 CJ-2A   '79 F-250 4x4 429   '93 750 Virago     |
|    Structural Dynamics Research Corporation    '79 AQHA           |
|    These opinions aren't SDRC's...  They may not even be MINE...  |