Post-K Aussie Dinosaurs

WRT the recent post (sorry I have lost the attributation):

> "On a National Geographic special on PBS this week, mention was made that
> dinosaurs may have survived beyond the K/T boundary in Australia. The reason
> given was that Australia was near the south pole at that time, and this
> acclimatized the dinosaurs to the colder weather that followed the K/T
>boundary.
> Does anyone know what evidence this claim of dinos beyond the Cretaceous Era
>is
> based on? Have fossils been found above the boundary layer in Australia?
> Annoyingly, the show did not mention any details (not even the name of who was
> making such a claim)."

I have received this from my mole who works with Pat Rich at Monash University:

"Answer:  This statement is only hearsay at the moment based on the
idea of Australia as a fossil refuge.  I am not sure of any actual
finds at the K/T Boundary but I do know that the idea is being
bandied around and that it is also possible that some of the
deposits we find the beasts in do stretch through to the correct
time frame.  I will investigate this further OK?"

Chris

cnedin@geology.adelaide.edu.au,   nedin@ediacara.org
it was all downhill from there.