Re: Nannotyrannus

>  The Multimedia DINOSAURS CD-ROM says that 13 skeletons of "Tarbosaurus" have
>been found,_INCLUDING_A_JUVENILE_. My idea is this: couldn't we decide whether
>Nannotyrannus is a juvenile T.rex or a new genus by comparing it to this
>juvenile T.tarbus?

Well...

The problem is that the best "Tarbosaurus juvenile" is really a different
taxon, Maleevosaurus novojilovi.  However, Carpenter did compare valid
juvenile T. bataar specimens with Nanotyrannus, and concluded that the
characteristics of "lancensis" would be consistant with the idea that it
was a juvenile T. rex.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy