Re: Archie

>The ground-runner hypothesis is harder to swallow because uses for
>undeveloped wings are less obvious.
>  Mike Bonham        bonham@jade.ab.ca

 I haven't made up my mind yet on the arborial vs. cursorial debate. But to keep
an open mind I must disagree with Mike's statement. If a large portion of the
animal's diet was indeed dragonflies, then partially developed wings can be
selected for in that it allows jumping higher or farther to catch the insects
in flight. Avoidance of predators is another matter: a bird the size of a goose
is slow and vulnerable for several seconds right after liftoff. I have seen
video of canines and felines catching birds this way. This also explains how
Archie could catch dragonflies.

Scott Horton
Geophysicist/Computer Programmer