Re: origin of birds

>>How do we know that dinosaurs did not "live" in trees? Perhaps small
>>carnivores like Deinonychus could climb short distances into trees ...
>
>Yes, in fact (and I'm saying these things only to see if Stan will
>shoot them down :-) couldn't it be possible that a) the semi-lunate
>bone in the wrist of _Deinonychus_ would allow it more mobility in the
>hand in order to allow it to grab onto branches at odd angles and b)
>the "terrible claw" on the toe of _Deinonycchus_ and other theropods
>could have been used to grab onto tree trunks like the spikes in a
>telephone repairman's boots?  How difficult would it be to reconcile
>such a scenario with the orientation of the back-bone and tail as the
>animal(s) attempted to climb?

Along a related line...
How do paleontologists deal with selection effects related to lifestyle
and the probability of fossilization?  Since most fossils are related
to fluvial effects (floodplain, point-bars, etc), I would assume that
there is some correlation between lifestyle and the odds of being
preserved.  Are there any studies of modern ecologies to try to get
some estimates?

Art