Re: mammalian reptiles

>What specific details determine that a fossil is from a reptilian mammal?

I'm not sure what you mean by a "reptilian mammal".  The crucial diagnostic
feature for true mammals is the presence of the dentary-squamosal jaw
articulation and the absence of the temporal/articular one except as middle
ear ossicles (one reptile, Diarthrognathus, had both).  Beyond that a
synapsid skull condition defines the line of reptiles leading to mammals,
but that includes pelycosaurs like Dimetrodon as well as therapsids and
other "mammal-like reptiles".
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5L 3W2          Internet: ornstn@hookup.net
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940    Compuserve ID: 72037,2513
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5