Re: Troodon Model

On Wed, 13 Jul 1994, Grant Harding wrote:

> Does anyone here know the exact measurements needed to make an accurate,
> lifesize model of a Troodon formosus (Stenonychosaurus inequalis) skeleton?
> Also, what is the Stride length, stride width, and foot lenght of it?

That's quite a tall order (exact measurements)...
Troodon formosus is known from about 20 specimens (very fragmented) and a
number of isolated teeth.  The material known include mostly brain cases,
jaw elements, teeth, foot elements, ribs, and some vertebrae.  Most of the
postcranial skeleton is poorly preserved (missing: most of vertabral
column, most of forelimb, and shoulder/chest regions).  What is preserved
can be compared with other dromaeosaurs.  Overall anatomy of Troodon is
based on Saurornithoides material and follows the basic dromaeosaur body
plan.

Specimens:           length of   est. body   length of   est. hip
                       skull       length     femur       height
Troodon formosus
  NMC 12340            330 mm     ( 3.0 m )   (300 mm)     (0.9 m)

Saurornithoides mongoliensis
  AMNH 6516            215 mm     ( 2.0 m )    200 mm      (0.6 m)

Troodon formosus seems to have been the largest member of the troodontids,
although most of the remains indicate a gacile creature.

There is a good foot specimen found but I have no current information on
its dimensions.

Also, as far as I know, no tracks have been a tributed to Troodon formosus.
I suggest using Dromaeosaurus as a model (you will need to do some scaling),
as for stride length or running speed, look into recorded measurements for
small theropods.  I assume they will be very similar.

---John Schneiderman <dino@cwis.unomaha.edu>