Re: Evidence?

Alex Hertzog wrote:

>I have always read that Baryonyx (sp?) ate fish, but I could never find out how
>that conclusion was reached. What evidence suggests that? Could someone please
>enlighten me?

_Baryonyx_ has the most unusual skull of an theropod dinosaur. Most meat
eating theropod skulls were only a little longer than high, had around 16
teeth in each side of the jaw, had a "V" or "U" shaped snout in plan view,
had the nasal openings near the tip of the snout and had a short neck.

 _Baryonyx_ had a very long, low skull (i.e. much longer than high), the
lower jaw was slender and contained 32 teeth per side, the snout was spoon
shaped in plan view, the nasal openings were set back behind the snout and
the neck was long. The teeth had very small serrations on them and this,
coupled with the spoon shaped snout are very remeniscent of fish-eating
crocodiles.

_Baryonyx_ also had a large claw on the inside finger of each hand (this
was the first thing found, hence _Baryonyx_ = "heavy claw"). It is thought
to have roamed the river banks uing its long neck, claws and teeth to catch
fish.

_Baryonyx_ was also featured in a book by creationist Dwane Gish (1992, p.
81). In it he claimed that _Baryonyx_ (the most complete theropod dinosaur
ever found in England) was proof that the medieval dragon legends (in this
case St. George and the Dragon) were refering to dinosaurs and that was
proof that dinosaurs lived until recently! Go figure!

Gish D.T. (1992) Dinosaurs by Design. Creation-Life Publishers, Master
Books, El Cajon, California. pp.88

Chris

cnedin@geology.adelaide.edu.au

It is a well known fact that all the ills of the world can be traced
directly back to the mineralization of the notochord in the Cambrian.
Invertebrates rule O.K.
----