charcoal

Stan Friesen mentioned that there is little direct evidence for
massive forest fires at the K-T boundary in the Hell Creek, which may
or may not be right, I'm not sure. But it's important to keep in mind
that the Western Interior seaway was quite close to the point of
impact (in the Yucatan) and that direct effects probably weren't, and
seem not to have been, as severe in other parts of the world. For
example, I believe that Kirk Johnson has shown that the plant
megafloral species do much better in New Zealand than in his classic
North Dakota section. This is probably NOT true for marine organisms
because the only decent study I know of (Raup and Jablonski 1993,
Science 260:971-973) showed clearly that clam extinction percentages
were uniform around the globe.