Re: Hello...HELP!

On Fri, 3 Jun 1994 LarsWest@aol.com wrote:

> Hi folks-
>    I've greatly enjoyed reading the mail that I receive from this Dinosaur
> list.
>     I am not a professional in any sense of the word when it comes to
> dinosaurs.  I am, however, fascinated by these magnificent creatures, and the
> creatures or the sky & sea that shared the primeval world with them.
>     By profession, I am an Illustrator,  and have found the study of the
> physiology of animals, extinct and otherwise, to be extremely beneficial in
> my work.
>      I write this note to ask if anyone can suggest a book that contains good
> diagrams of the skeletal structure of a range of pterasaurs.  I had hoped to
> get a hold of a copy of the Encyclopedia of Pterasaurs, but apparently, it's
> out of print (I would be interested in something comparable or better than
> that text).
>      Additionally, I have heard that there is some evidence that many of the
> raptors might have been nocturnal (As I understood it, this thought was
> formulated based on the size of their orbits).  Any comments/theories?
>      Please forgive any mistakes I have made in terminology.   As I've
> mentioned, I'm no professional, but if anyone would like to correct or
> clarify any mistakes I've made, feel free!
>                     Thanks!

Pterosaur skeletal reconstructions are very rare because most material is
usually left in the matrix or poorly represented/scarpy at best.  However,
there are some pterosaurs (ex. pterodactylids found in Solenhofen,
Germany, Kansas, USA, and in Argentina) which are beautifully preserved.
Most illustrations are artist reconstructions based on existing body plans.

Nocturnal raptors...very possible...large orbits may indicate young
animals.  Large orbits also indicates the development of keen vision
especially when the area of the brain which processes visual information
is large or highly developed..Dromeosaurs have large brains, comparable to
modern birds, who also possess large orbitals.

--
John Schneiderman
dino@cwis.unomaha.edu