still other mass extinctions

        I was just asked by a member of the dino list (who may want
to remain anonymous) what the "top folks" are saying about the
Ordovician and Devonian extinctions. As you guys probably already
know, the end-Pleistocene large-mammal extinction doesn't even rank
as a mass extinction at all as far as the "top folks" in marine paleo
are concerned, because basically nothing happened in the marine realm
at that time (yet another reason to doubt climate-driven models for
the the mammal extinctions). Instead, I think there's a consensus
that about five or six extinctions during the Phanerozoic were true
"mass extinctions" - end Ordovician, late Devonian, end Permian, end
Triassic, end Cretaceous, maybe a couple of others. The K-T is
clearly the best understood of any of these. Being a (relatively)
humble mammal paleontologist and not one of said "top folks," I'm not
prepared to speculate about any of the others.
        What I've got on hand is a nice 1987 coffee table book by
Steve Stanley ("Extinction"), which is unfortunately quite out of
date; "Extinctions: Bad Genes or Bad Luck?," by Dave Raup (1991:
okay, so he's my advisor), which is written in an informal but very
direct style with a minimum of jargon (it's informally known around
here as "Bad Genes or Bad Vibes?"); a recent book on the
Permo-Triassic event by Doug Erwin (1993: "The Great Paleozoic
Crisis: Life and Death in the Permian"), which I haven't had a chance
to look at yet but seems promising; a symposium volume edited by
Stephen K. Donovan (1989: "Mass Extinctions: Processes and Evidence")
that seems like a good review of the marine events but has an article
on Pleistocene mammals that I think is sincere but deeply flawed (no
point in arguing about it now); and another symposium volume called
"Phanerozoic Diversity Patterns" (1985: James W. Valentine, ed.) that
again is out of date but has some really classic articles with a more
theoretical bent.
        Then there's always the technical literature, for people who
really want to get into this. The best place to look is naturally
Paleobiology, which specializes in this kind of thing, but there is
plenty of other literature on mass extinctions in journals like
Palae3, Lethaia, Palaeontology, Journal of Paleo, Palaios, etc., plus
the more geological literature like Geology, Journal of Geology,
Journal of Geophysical Research, etc., where you occasionally see
something that bears directly on one mass extinction event or
another.
Donovan) thinks the Ordovician event (or events) was caused by
glaciation and attendant climate/sea level changes. G. McGhee (again
in Donovan) thinks the late Devonian event was caused proximally by
cooling and anoxia in the oceans, but what was responsible for those
changes (tectonic events, glaciation, bolide impacts, sea level
changes) isn't clear. If someone wants to dig up more on this, I'd
love to hear about it.
        My anonymous correspondent also made a point about the K-T
event being size-selective - large animals having more trouble than
small animals. I think we should remember that 1) from a global point
of view, the K-T event is most important for its effect on marine
organisms like forams, nannoplankton, snails, clams, cephalopods,
echinoids, crinoids, and decapods, and I know of no work showing a
size bias for extinction in these groups; 2) in the terrestrial
realm, insects and angiosperms are and were the dominant groups, so
what happens to terrestrial vertebrates is largely a side-issue; 3)
even among terrestrial verts, there WERE demonstrable extinctions
among mammals (all of which were small), turtles, squamates
("lizards" and snakes), etc., not just dinosaurs; and 4) it's a
really straightforward prediction of ecological theory that any time
the world goes to hell (whatever the cause), large animals high up in
the trophic pyramid are going to take a harder hit. Large animals
have smaller absolute population sizes, slower rates of intrinsic
growth, and greater dependence on the fates of other organisms
because they tend to be high up on the food web. Some of the
dinosaurs were "small" as large vertebrates go, but NONE of them
(with the exception of the birds, which is a pretty significant
exception) were as small as "true" small mammals, i.e., a couple of
kilos or less. The vast majority of other tetrapods (frogs,
salamanders, squamates, turtles, etc.) are also in this size range.