Re: Fuel for another debate

Christopher Zguris writes:
 > Wouldn't a massive muscular head (from the perspectve of the whole
 head, not
 > just as a support for the jaws) be a good idea if T-Rex were going
 after
 > large prey? I mean, if T-Rex took on something bigger, couldn't the
 prey
 > crush a less robust attacker? Wouldn't having a strong head make the
 T-Rex
 > less vulnerable to thrashing/hitting/whatever from its prey?
 Speaking from
 > as an enthusiast, NOT a professional!

No, not really.  The sort of teeth that T. rex had were not much
good for a gripping bite - just a quick slashing bite.  You are
more used to the more complex, multi-pronged, teeth of mammals,
which *can* grip while biting.

Thus, to immobilize prey *at *all*, dinosaur predators needed
arms.

This is, indeed the most likely reason for T. rex's arms.

Note, this is useful not onmly to protect against goring from
Triceratops (or its earlier cousins), but also to allow more
time to deliver the killing bite, and to make sure the prey
is still accessible when it dies.

The peace of God be with you.