T. rex

>Not to be a wet blanket, but none of the respondants considered T. rex as
>a scavenger, [...] T. rex [..] had insufficient femoral bone mass to
>sustain running speed [...]Given that ceratopsians _could_ gallop by the
>same analysis, as could hadrosaurs, T. rex must have been either an ambush
>predator or a scavenger.  THe latter seems more parsimonious to me [...]

I believe that the analysis that led to the above conclusions involved
correlations of ratios of bone sizes, hip to ground distances, and known
speeds of living animals.  By plotting the ratios of certain anatomical
features, one could surmise the speed at which an animal moved.  I don't
believe that the study showed that T. rex could not sustain running speed
(to do that, one would have to show that the stresses in the bones would
exceed the strength of the bones or that the muscle arrangement was incapable
of moving at a certain rate, or some similar kind of analysis.)
The correlations are useful, but not the final word on such issues.
For example, horses have surprisingly small radii bones for the speeds that
they can move, and (closer to my own field) some sharks and dolphins cruise
at speeds well above what would be expected from similar correlations of
marine animals.