Re: Fuel for another debate

>No, not really.  The sort of teeth that T. rex had were not much
>good for a gripping bite - just a quick slashing bite.  You are
>more used to the more complex, multi-pronged, teeth of mammals,
>which *can* grip while biting.
>
>Thus, to immobilize prey *at *all*, dinosaur predators needed
>arms.
>
>This is, indeed the most likely reason for T. rex's arms.
>
>Note, this is useful not onmly to protect against goring from
>Triceratops (or its earlier cousins), but also to allow more
>time to deliver the killing bite, and to make sure the prey
>is still accessible when it dies.
>
>swf@elsegundoca.ncr.com                sarima@netcom.com
>
>The peace of God be with you.

I think I understand what you're saying, but could you clarify something for
me? The T. rex attacks a Triceratops -- or something larger, maybe? -- and
takes a large bite thus causing a large wound. Now, the T. rex must face an
angry, wounded, Tric. using only his small arms? I don't undersand how the
T. rex's arms would be of any use for defense. Granted, they're very
powerful arms, but wouldn't that mean the T. rex would have to get in close
to the Tric. before the arms could be of any value thus exposing itself to
the horns (literally) of the Tric.?

Christopher Zguris
czguris@mcimail.com