Dinofest

I was fortunate to be able to attend Dinofest 94 which was put on by the
department of geology at Indiana University/Purdue University, Indianapolis
in March. Many of the top paleontologists were on hand to present papers and
report on new research. They included John Ostorm, John Horner, Phil Currie,
Peter Larson, Don Wolberg, Dale Russell, Greg Paul, Karen Chin, Nicholas
Hotten III, Peter Dodson, and numerous other superb presenters. Bob Bakker
was scheduled, but was a no show. Not too shabby, eh?  The event covered a
wide range of levels of presentations, from the professional level, to the
informed amateur, to a special satellite hook up panel discussion for
children around the country. I use to think I had some knowledge of
dinosaurs, but was amazed at the level and quality of research displayed at
the event. I have plenty of room to increase my knowledge base. I will not
try to review all the topics here. However, the geology department is in the
process of producing a companion book containing the papers presented at the
fest. I talked to them this morning, and it is still in the works but no
firm date of publication was mentioned. If you would like to be on the
mailing list for the book, you might call 1-317-274-7484. This is the
department information. I am sure they would be glad to include your name on
the list. A special thanks to Dr. Gary Rosenberg, who organized the event. I
hope we can do it again next year.