Re: T.rex

>> I think that the literally ground-shaking approach of the rex in "Jurassic
>> Park" is pure Hollywood drama. I suspect that a rex could move surprisingly
>> silently if it wanted to. It would certainly not bellow its presence like in
>> the movie until after it had made a kill. Otherwise every potential meal
>> within miles would already be on the run.

>I beg to differ. At the time T. rex attack scene in Jurassic Park had already
>made a kill and managed to do it silently enough (footfalls notwithstanding).
>I don't recall her bellowing before the tethered goat met its grisly end...

Hey! Hollywood almost got it right once? Will wonders never cease...

>The confrontation with Grant and company was out of her normal territory,
>since she had never been free of her paddock before. The vehicles and
>their occupants were an unknown quantity as an adversary. I would bellow
>first, too!
>..Dino-Dave "JP defender to the end" Jones

I guess you and the rex think alike, regarding inanimate objects (jeeps)
as potential adversaries. I wonder if she also bellows at rocks and trees?
In the book, which is more realistic, I remember her bellowing once to try
to frighten one of the people into running. This was because her vision
wouldn't register stationary prey, which seems very unlikely, or all her
potential prey could just keep on munching away on trees when a rex went
by! The second time the rex bellowed was to challenge the junior rex when
it had tried to claim her kill.
Like a lion, I suspect that a rex would bellow only in these circumstances:
 1. to frighten off rivals (from a kill or its territory)
 2. to attract a mate(?)
 3. when it stubbed its toe or got stuck by a Triceratop's horn   :)
To bellow at potential prey seems unproductive unless it thinks it can
frighten its prey to death.

Scott Horton
Geophysicist/Computer Programmer