Re: T.rex behavior

>Granted that T. rex is not a flight-defense herbivore, but can we really
>write off the thought that a totally unknown object like a jeep might not
>bring forth a bellow of confusion, if nothing else?  After all, didn't
>she run across the jeeps at night with their headlamps on?  That would
>look pretty scary to an animal totally unused to man and his machines,
>IMO.
>Jamie Schrumpf

If I remember the movie correctly, the jeep headlamps were off. The girl (Lex)
inside one of the jeeps had a flashlight on, which seemed to attract the rex
in the first place. After she turned it off, the jeeps become dark immobile
non-organic objects (like rocks). I really doubt that the rex would be
interested unless it could smell the occupants. Every modern opinion I've read
about dinosaurs suggest that they had a poor sense of smell. The rex certainly
couldn't mistake jeeps for another carnosaur, which is about the only thing
that could threaten it.

I also have another complaint about the behavior of the dinosaurs in the movie.
The ornithomimosaurs (I forget the genus) ran in a herd. I doubt that their
diet of lizards, mammals, eggs, fruit, or whatever could support a herd. It
seems more likely that they would hunt/forage alone or in small groups. The
only time they would run in a herd as shown in the movie would be when
threatened by a fire or a carnosaur.

The movie did such a good job in portraying dinosaurs in a modern light, as
active, non-stupid animals that it's a shame that Spielberg made some other
mistakes.

Scott Horton
Geophysicist/Computer Programmer