Re: Re: T.rex head-butting

>I doubt that intra-specific rival carnosaurs would resort to head-butting. On
>many species (eg. Allosaurus, Carnotaurus, Ceratosaurus) the horns and ridges
>on the head are apt to gouge out an eye on the opponent. The loss of an eye
>would be almost as lethal as all out battle (biting, clawing). And on other
>species (eg. Dilophosaurus), the ridges are too fragile to survive
head-butting.

One quick systematic note: of the above, only one (Allosaurus) is definately
a carnosaur.  Most theropod workers consider the last three (Carnotaurus,
Ceratosaurus, Dilophosaurus) to be ceratosaurians, a somewhat more primitive
group.

At least one genus of tyrannosaurid, Alioramus, had a display structure (a
series of hornlets down the length of the snout) which would probably be
damaged if used in combat.  Similarly, the nasal and lachrimal crests of
Allosaurus, and especially the tall crest of Cryolophosaurus, are very
fragilly built, and probably were for display only.

Thomas R. HOLTZ
Vertebrate Paleontologist, Dept. of Geology
Phone:301-405-4084