Re: Raptor Intelligence

On Thu, 16 Jun 1994, Garry Platt wrote:

> I have been reading with interest the comments concerning the T Rex's
> Behaviour in Jurassic Park and its attack on the land vehicle.
>
> There was another sequence however which left me feeling a little uneasy.
> The Raptor's level of intelligence was often referred to during the film as
> being exceptional (primate level?). But what evidence exists, what evidence
> can exist, that raptors or any dinosaur had 'intelligence ' as portrayed in
> the film, i.e. problem solving capabilities (door handle sequence) and the
> holding pen reference (testing the weaknesses of the holding pen)? This was
> referred to by the game warden, the actors name escapes me for the moment.
>
> Is there any factual or scientific evidence that can support the
> representation of the creatures as having intelligence on apparently the
> same level as primates? Or was this Hollywood taking liberties?
>
> If this level had been achieved might there not be case for supposing the
> use of primitive tools and tool making by some species? Pure speculation on
> my part but interesting.

---
Dr. Dale Russell theorized and created a model of what an intelligent dinosaur
might have looked like based on the advanced trend in characteristics in the
small carnivorous dinosaurs (namely: Saurornithoides). He based his work on
an increasing brain size, bipedal gait, enlarged eyes (binocular vision), and
manipulative 3-digit hands (one digit may or may not have been opposible).
---Dinosauroid---

Taking the model one step further...had the dinosaurs survived extinction,
it is possible that rudimentary intelligence would soon follow.  It wasn't
that long ago (about 2 mybp) that ancient homonids possessed only animal
intelligences.
---Saurasapien---

Who knows...maybe someday the remains of a dinosaur will be found in
association with crude stone tools or an isolated hadrosaur femur is found
displaying cuts or chop marks made with some kind of tool...
---
John Schneiderman
dino@cwis.unomaha.edu