Re: Re: Raptor Intelligence

>---
>Dr. Dale Russell theorized and created a model of what an intelligent dinosaur
>might have looked like based on the advanced trend in characteristics in the
>small carnivorous dinosaurs (namely: Saurornithoides). He based his work on
>an increasing brain size, bipedal gait, enlarged eyes (binocular vision), and
>manipulative 3-digit hands (one digit may or may not have been opposible).
>---Dinosauroid---

AVOID THE 'ROID!

I really like Dale, and he has supported my work, but I REALLY dislike the
'roid.  Not as an excerise, but because it wound up looking so humanoid.
Troodontids already had a bipedal gait and manipulative hands, and given
that many dinosaurs had heavy skulls but retained a horizontal spine, I do
not think the totally erect posture is justified.  Because of this, there's
no reason to take away the tail and give the  'roid a butt. (A note here:
the muscles which power the hindlimbs of dinosaurs and other sauropsids are
attached to the tail, while the major power muscles in mammals is attached
to the hip.  A fully erect posture would necessitate the loss of the tail
and convergent development of the gluteus maximus, but I think it more
likely that a derived troodontid would maintain the horizontal posture and
the caudofemoralis muscle, requiring a long tail).

Of course, all this is a lot of speculation.  Since we have a sample size of
one with regards to sapient beings, maybe a humanoid posture is required.
It's impossible to test this hypothesis at present, so I concede that
Russell might be correct.  I personally, however, think that most other
intellegent bipeds (if any) would have a more horizontal posture and a tail,
since humans went through a long and complicated process to get our own
particular anatomy.

Thomas R. HOLTZ
Vertebrate Paleontologist, Dept. of Geology
Phone:301-405-4084