Re: aquatic dinosaurs

>I recently came across an article which states that during the Cenomanian
>some large theropods (Carcharodontosaurus, Bahariasaurus, and Spinosaurus)
>had taken on an aquatic lifestyle.  Is there any merit in this statement.
>I have come to believe that no dinosaur had taken to the sea.
>
>source:
>Edmarka rex, a new, gigantic theropod dinosaur.  Hunteria v.2 no.9 p.21

Bakker might be correct, but those three (and particularly
Carcharodontosaurus and Bahariasaurus) are far too fragmentary to make any
supportable statements about their life habits.  Both Carch. and Spinosaurs
did have teeth which resemble aquatic predators (the great white shark
Carcharodon and a large crocodillian, respectively), but  those tooth forms
could also cut/hold flesh on land as well.

Thomas R. HOLTZ
Vertebrate Paleontologist, Dept. of Geology
Phone:301-405-4084