Re: Packs

On Fri, 24 Jun 1994, Neil Clark wrote:

> I seem to remember hearing that the Deinonychus specimens were found
> beneath the larger herbivore, and were thus interpreted as having been
> crushed by the falling animal in its death throws.  I presume this was a
> hyped interpretation though.  Does anyone know the truth?

---
Tenontosaurus remains were found mixed with at least 4 Deinonychus remains.
The Deinonychus remains showed less wear than the Tenontosaurus remains
and no teeth marks are found on any of the material. The unit (within the
Coverly Fm.) in which the remains were found are made up of overbank
floodplain deposits.

A possible senerio:

The large herbivore, Tenontosaurus, dies on a broad floodplain but is not
scavenged.  The carcass is transported, begins to fall apart,
experiences abrasion, and is buried.
Later heavy rains produce a flash flood which drown at least 4 Deinonychus
and re-exposes the Tenontosaurus carcass.  All the material is redeposited
together back on the floodplain.

---John Schneiderman <dino@cwis.unomaha.edu>