Re: ANTARCTIC DINOSAUR EXPEDITION

Frank Chereck wrote:

>I am attaching an article that appeared in The Sunday Chicago Tribune that
>may be of interest to members of this list. Comments and opinions would be
>appreciated.

>                        HOT DISCOVERY IN COLD CLIMATE
>             FINDING ANTARCTIC DINOSAUR PUT AUGUSTANA ON THE MAP

[deleted]

>   Hammer is an oddity. He is one of the biggest names in paleontology but
>teaches at a school so small it has no paleontology major and no graduate
>degree program of any kind.
>   This situation has delighted Augustana's undergraduates since Hammer, 44,
>arrived there in 1981. Because he has no coterie of graduate students, he
>usually takes an undergraduate with him on his Antarctic expeditions.
>   Some field trip. On his last expedition, from November 1990 to January

^^^^
>1991, Hammer and his five-member crew recovered the first dinosaur bones

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>found in Antarctica.

Hmmm, I thought that particular distinction went to messers Olivero,
Gasparini, Rinaldi and Scasso, viv-a-vis:

Olivero, E.B.; Gasparini, Z.; Rinaldi C.A. & Scasso, R (1991) First record
of dinosaurs in Antarctica (Upper Cretaceous, James Ross Island):
Palaeogeographical implications. In Geological Evolution of Antarctica,
Thomsom, M.R.A.; Crame, J.A. & Thomson, J.W. (eds).pp 617-622. Cambridge
University Press, Cambridge.

Recording fossil remains of an ankylosaur found in the 1986 field season

This volume is the Preceedings of the Fifth International Symposium on
Antarctic Earth Sciences, held at Cambridge on the 23-28th August *1987*.
So the abstracts volume would have been printed in 1987.

Let me see now, even my shaky maths makes 1987 some 3 years *before* 1990,
or don't non-American finds count? :-)

Chris
Geology & Geophysics
University of Adelaide