Re: dinosaur copulation?

On Wed, 29 Jun 1994, Larry Loen wrote:

> A couple of posters suggested water as a medium to make it
> easier.  Seems a neat suggestion to me.
>
> One possible objection though:  It seems increasingly likely
> that some dinosaurs (e.g. centrosaurus?) were probably
> migratory a la wildebeasts or even overl longer ranges.  Also,
> there appear to be dinos that lived in arid or even dessert
> conditions.  Or, so the popular dino press would have one believe.

Dinosaurs like Protoceratops did live in desert or semi-arid places.
The Sino-Canadian Expedition's studies of the fossil bearing formations
indicate that there was seasonal rains followed by intense drought and
severe sandstorms.

> Did they migrate to water?  I suppose all you need is a
> water hole, even in the dessert.

During Late Jurassic times the climate was much drier, however there was
seasonal heavy rains followed by intense drying.  Vast water holes and
seasonal lakes are found throughout the geologic record.
Sauropods probably migrated as vast fossil trackways in Colorado suggest.

Centrosaurus lived in much wetter climates, marsh like environments (bayou).
However, herds of Centrosaurus would quickly eat all the plants and would
need to migrate to new food sources.  One suggestion is that a migration route
from Wyoming to the North Slope of Alaska existed, and Centrosaurus made the
trek annually.

It appears that dinosaurs also made treks to dry upland locations to lay
their eggs.  But after hatching migrated to more wetter locations or to
margins of lakes, rivers, or seashores.

---John Schneiderman <dino@cwis.unomaha.edu>