RE: fossil preparation

baalke@kelvin.jpl.nasa.gov writes...

>> I've recently obtained a trilobyte that needs some preparation
>> work. I've never done this before, ...

Check out a recent publication by the Paleontological Research Institution,
Ithaca, NY. I believe it's called, simple "Paleontological Techniques", or
something of the sort. It's emminantly affordable - $25, if I recall.

It's an update of a 25- or 30-year-old book called "Handbook of
Paleontological Techniques." The original was excellent; I haven't had the
opportunity to look at the new one in detail. The brief time I had one in my
hands, I noted that it had many different techniques, ranging from preparing
microfossils to bones.

For those of you who haven't heard of it, the PRI isn't a small outfit - it
has one of the 10 largest type-fossil collections in North America, of
invertebrate fossils, and they run various special publications, including
"Paleontographica Americana". It also has been involved in a battle with
Tompkins County and the State of New York over a planned highway that
literally threatens the collections. They are a class outfit, and in need of
our support. The book is worth every penny; you might even consider
over-paying them for it in support of their work. Or joining...
[This has been an unpaid solicitation for the PRI. - If the
keeper-of-the-list feels it proper to cut it from the reply, do so.]
Macops
Union College, Schenectady, NY   ...and...
America OnL
ine
xxxxxxxxx
                     / |||\