Re: Reconstructions

>I wrote an article for Discover about paleo artist John Gurche a few years
>back. He painted the dinosaur stamp series and other well-known dino illos. He
>also does beautiful sculptures of hominid heads, which is what I focussed on.

I'd like to add that his techniques have been proven out in many police
cases where only skeletal remains have been found.  A PBS special last year
showed how these techniques could reconstruct a skull so well that the person
would be immediately recognizable to someone who knew them, and have cracked
a number of missing-person cases where dental records have failed.  Based on
this, I suspect modern reconstructions are pretty darn close as far as what
the animals looked like - barring surface markings, of course.

Larry Smith
larrys@alpha.zk3.dec.com