Re: ribs

Mickey's question stirred a similar question in me. I have been curious about
the function of the "riblets" down the belly of T.rex and family. They seem too
small and fragile to present very much protection against a Triceratops' horns,
for instance :) and if T.rex rested on its belly, you would think that its own
weight would break these 'ribs' (or were they flexible?). They are not smoothly
curved, but seem to twist to make sharp projections that would seem dangerous
to its owner (or were they twisted during fossilization?).

Scott Horton
Geophysicist/Computer Programmer