Sea Monster Sighted in Canada

''Sea Monster'' Seen in Western Canadian Waters
5/6/94

         VANCOUVER (Reuter) - A snorting, 20-foot-long
``sea monster'' was spotted by two university students
off the shores of a Pacific coastal beach in Victoria, British
Columbia, the pair said Friday.
         Ryan Green, 18, a Simon Fraser University business student,
described the rocky-faced creature as a twin-humped,
round-bodied monster that swam across Telegraph Bay near
suburban Saanich. It was about 49 feet from the rock Green and
his friend, Damian Grant, were sitting on.
         Green said he and the 19-year-old general arts student at
the University of Victoria saw the heavy-breathing creature
surface twice before it disappeared into the calm waters.
         ``All of a sudden, this head comes up, like a whale with no
spray. And then this hump, the size of an inner tube in
diameter. And then another hump. It's nothing I've ever seen
before,'' said Green.
         He stressed that the puzzled pair was sober at the time of
the sighting.
         Ed Bousfield, a biology research associate with the Royal
British Columbia Museum, said the reptile-like creature is
probably a cadborosaurus, one of the last living dinosaurs.
         ``I phoned these two chaps and let them do the talking, and
their observations absolutely tally with the classical profile
of the cadborosaurus,'' Bousfield said.
         Bousfield, who is writing a book on the deep-sea, predatory
cadborosaurus with scientist Paul LeBlond, said about 160
recorded sightings of the swift-swimming monster have been
reported. Due to ``incredibly bad luck'', there are no such
animals in captivity or museums, and a 1937 photograph is the
only visible recording of the beast.
         ``We get half a dozen records of sightings up and down the
(Pacific) coast every year. All these people say the same thing
about the animals, so there's got to be something there.''
         He said the carborosaurus was named in the 1930s after
sightings in nearby Cadboro Bay.