[no subject]

Paul Janke wrote:

:* Falsehood number 1 *
:John K. Bates quoting "his friend" CARL wrote:
:>JOHN, SUE WAS SEIZED BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT BECAUSE
:>IT WAS EXCAVATED FROM PUBLIC LAND, BLM I BELIEVE.  THE

:SUE was seized upon the direct orders of acting U.S. Attorney Kevin
:Schieffer. SUE was not taken from public or BLM land. SUE was excavated
:from the privately-owned land of rancher Maurice Williams, which is located
:within the boundaries of an Indian reservation. The BHIGR purchased the
:fossil from Williams, and had secured the permission from him to extract it.
_____________

Just a quiry. Here in Australia farmers do not, as a rule, own the mineral
rights to the land they farm. Thus such things as minerals, fossils,
meteorites, etc. on (or in) their land are not their property. Did the
farmer in question actually have the right to sell Sue?

(for the record I oppose the action taken by the U.S. federal authorities
in this case)

Chris Nedin
Dept of Geology and Geophysics
University of Adelaide