Re: Big Ed

>When Bob Bakker was here in town to lecture (and give away large quick
>drawings to kids who could identify them), he said that a carnivore
>larger that T. rex has been discovered, not yet named but nicknamed
>"Big Ed".

Presumably he's referring to Edmarka rex, a primitive Late Jurassic theropod
he described a year or two ago.  However, Edmarka is VERY fragmentary, so he
doesn't have much justification in saying its bigger than T. rex with any
certainty.  At present, there are no well known theropods demonstrably larger
than Sue.  Also, there is an isolated T. rex maxilla (upper jaw bone) even
larger than Sue, so tyrannosaurs do seem to be bigger than any Jurassic
theropod.  However, I've heard of a new Argentine theropod recently
discovered that does wound to be larger than Tyrannosaurus, so in a year or
two the title will have to offical go to a southern form.

(Incidentally, Bakker is a notroious taxonomic splitter, and I expect future
discoveries will whow Edmarka rex is a junior synonym of Torvosaurus
tanneri.)

>Does anyone have any info on "Big Ed"?

Thomas R. HOLTZ
Vertebrate Paleontologist, Dept. of Geology
Phone:301-405-4084