Re: Big Ed

> >When Bob Bakker was here in town to lecture (and give away large quick
> >drawings to kids who could identify them), he said that a carnivore
> >larger that T. rex has been discovered, not yet named but nicknamed
> >"Big Ed".
>
> Presumably he's referring to Edmarka rex, a primitive Late Jurassic theropod
> he described a year or two ago.  However, Edmarka is VERY fragmentary, so he
> doesn't have much justification in saying its bigger than T. rex with any
> certainty.  At present, there are no well known theropods demonstrably larger
> than Sue.  Also, there is an isolated T. rex maxilla (upper jaw bone) even
> larger than Sue, so tyrannosaurs do seem to be bigger than any Jurassic
> theropod.  However, I've heard of a new Argentine theropod recently
> discovered that does wound to be larger than Tyrannosaurus, so in a year or
> two the title will have to offical go to a southern form.
>
> (Incidentally, Bakker is a notroious taxonomic splitter, and I expect future
> discoveries will whow Edmarka rex is a junior synonym of Torvosaurus
> tanneri.)
>

> >Does anyone have any info on "Big Ed"?
> >

> Thomas R. HOLTZ
> Vertebrate Paleontologist, Dept. of Geology
> Email:Thomas_R_HOLTZ@umail.umd.edu (th81)
> Phone:301-405-4084

I do not have current information but I have seen a copy of an article by Dr.
Bakker in which the little known dinosaur Epanterias was discussed.  According
to the article Epanterias is found in Oklahoma and Colorado.  The dinosaur
was supposed to have reached lengths of 50 feet or more.  Epanterias is
currently concerned a large Allosaurus species.
There is also material from Oklahoma which was named Saurophagus which may
be the same type of dinosaur as Edmarka, Epanterias, or again another very
large Allosaurus.

John Schneiderman
Amateur Paleontologist
Email: Dino@cwis.unomaha.edu