Re: astroblemes and extinctions

> Actually, this is probably true, but doesn't require an impact.  Large
> animals have, of course, larger requirements for food, water, and space,
> whereas smaller animals can get by with less.

"Less" is a relative term.  The cube-square law has an effect here, as
does the nature of endothermy, and it seems likely to me, as a rough
guess, that a breadbox-sized predatory mammal might need nearly as much
food as an elephant-sized mass-homeothermic herbivorous archosaur; and
the mammal's food requirements are much higher on the food chain.

(This is pure speculation on my part; I don't have the depth of
knowledge to work out the real relationships here.  Can you shed some
light, Tom Holtz?)

-dick

Digital Equipment Corporation           DEC Easynet: VORTEX::CALIPH::BINDER
110 Spit Brook Road, ZKO3-3/Y32         uucp:        ...!decvax.dec.com!binder
Nashua, NH  03062-9987                  Internet:    binder@zk3.dec.com